Monday, May 08, 2006

Sopa de Lentejas

I was introduced to lentis some six years ago but didnt know how to cook it. I remember Em bringing a pack to the house and asking me to cook it, as it was one of his favorites, and still is. My first foray with lentils was a disaster, turned out it is cooked like mongo beans (I didnt know how to cook mongo at that time either). Yes, Im a late bloomer in the kitchen. Now I consider myself an expert, especially where lentils are concerned. Though most Spanish restaurants serve it soupy, Em and I like it with thicker consistency. I also learned from him to drizzle it with olive oil, just before eating and while still hot. It is quite simple to make, and you just need the following:

1 pack lentils
2 cups water (or more, depending on the consistency you want), salted
chorizo bilbao (spanish sausage)
1 big pack tomato sauce
garlic and onions

First, boil the lentils in salted water along with garlic and onions and chorizo bilbao - stirring occasionally. Add more water if it gets too thick. In a separate pan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil, add in the tomato sauce adn season with salt and pepper. Set aside. When lentils are soft, stir in the tomato sauce and simmer. Take out chorizo bilbao, chop into round disks, and put back to lentils. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil just before serving. Serve with french bread. Yummm!

3 comments:

Molly said...

Dee, that sounds just delicious! Is there a certain kind of lentils that I should use, or do you just buy the brown type?

Mmmm, mmm!

Dee said...

hi molly, i just use the packed brownish green lentils. Yes, its absolutely yumm!!!

Stella said...

Sounds great! I must try your recipe when I get back home:)