San Franscisco is a city where the words organic, sustainable, free-range and fair trade are more defined than any of the other places we visited.And for me, that forms a great part of the city's charm. Our SF highlights:
- the Ferry Building Marketplace, where I had my very first taste of figs!
- Ciao Bella gelato, from the same marketplace
- sampling the different oil dips in Stonehouse California Olive Oil
- Boudin Sourdough Bread and clam chowder at the Fisheman's Wharf
- more In & Out Burger
-Bi-Rite Creamery for luscious smooth ice cream. Worth a trip to 18th St, Mission District. The Bi-Rite Organic Grocery just across is also worth a visit.
- Rainbow grocery, I just adore this one! Apple butter, real maple syrup, thick yoghurts, I go nuts with the selections here. Im still dreaming of this grocery to this day, how I wish we have this at home.
- Other highlights are the touristy things: Alcatraz, Coit Tower, Twin Peaks, Palace of Fine Arts (wow!), shopping at Union Square, visiting Castro district, driving by Noe Valley and Haight/Ashbury, driving down Lombard Street, walking the Golden Gate Bridge (yes, we did!).
I love the laid-back feel of San Francisco, and the chilly weather is something I could get used to. I actually felt a pang of sadness saying goodbye to this city, even though I dont necessarily have family here. There's a certain charming eclecity tot he city that I never find anywhere else. We were walking in the Mission district late one night when we chanced upon this garage sign, and we laughed ourselves silly, Em and I. Such is the delight this city brings to us.