Thursday, February 01, 2007

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

In an attempt to produce more baked goods over the holidays for gifts, I reached for the first interesting recipe I saw which seemed easy and quite different. The tiny little word 'flourless' appealed to me in this recipe as well as the fact that peanut butter remains to be a favorite. I should tell you though, that (horrors!) I was not in my best of moods when I baked these, you know those few days before Christmas when everything is in a rush and you oftentimes wish that Christmas is still a month away? That was my kind of day, and if you live in this part of the planet - you will know and you will understand that the HUGE stress-inducing holiday problem is almost always the traffic all around the city.

So I started to bake very late, and the next day was the last day of work before Xmas and I had to, I just had to give out already the goodies. And so it was too late to realize that being flourless, the cookies did not keep well in their containers and kept on crumbling! They are fantastic nonetheless, but is best eaten and served right in your own home as it really does not travel well.

Flourless Peanut Butter & Choc Chip Cookies
From Bon Appetit Sept 1999

250 g chunky peanut butter
200 g golden brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
160 g miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 180C. Mix all ingredients except choc chips in medium bowl. Mix well then add the choc chips. Using moistened hands, form generous 1 tbsp dough for each cookie into ball. Arrange on 2 ungreased baking sheets, spacing 5cm apart. Bake cookies until puffed, golden on bottom but still soft to touch in the center, about 12 minutes. Cool on sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool completely.

No comments: